Monday, November 29, 2021

Introduction and Welcome

Today, I start a new offering in my private sector consulting and advocacy venture, MPORielly Consulting Inc., with the creation of this new blog feature: TMT and Me.  

I hope this outlet provides monthly value for those seeking real discussions on tech and telecom policy matters that have been my career’s work.  Call it weedy, meaty, or borderline boring, I intend to avoid some of the superficial conversations and dig deeper than most on what’s already in play and what should be happening.  Those who worked with me in the past will remember that even my one-pagers were packed with substance.  Certainly, there will be some easier reads, maybe along the lines of old Dear Colleagues from the Hill days, but the main direction will be thought pieces of various lengths. 

Through a nearly thirty-year professional career, I have been part of almost every policy debate involving telecommunications or technology issues.  The early House committee days became the Senate years and leadership positions.  Eventually I found myself as FCC Commissioner.  The path was unexpected but provided a catbird seat to lessons on how best to analyze issues and maneuver Washington D.C.  Along the way, I melded my conservative principles with a desire to get things done. 

For those interested, the blog shares its name with the title I heard from so many industry analysts over decades.  TMT -- Technology/Media/Telecommunications -- served as the heart of my government portfolio through so many jobs.  It remains a part of me as I extend my FCC blogging experience to this additive role.  Of course, I’ll still be active on other formats (e.g., op-eds, panels, speaking, advising, and etc.) so there will be multiple chances to see my views.   

I wrote an extensive blog collection while at the FCC and found the medium incredibly useful.  Yet, some question whether blogs have become passé has-beens replaced by Instagram or TikTok moments or do they remain old-school enriched content delivery mechanisms for a sugared-up world?  I guess we’ll find out.  It certainly provides a limitless platform to express my thoughts on the current debates in the telecom and tech ecosystems.  And I’ve got a lot to say.

If you’ve made it this far, I thank you and welcome your productive suggestions as I plug along on this adventure (and please keep any trolling or negativity for your local bartender). 

 All my best,




 

P.S. -- The opinions expressed in any blog, as well as any other work, are those of the author and are not intended to be a submission to the Federal Communications Commission with the intent to influence agency employees in the performance of their official duties in any current or future Commission matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  https://www.nationalreview.com/2024/05/bidens-rural-broadband-push-is-a-slow-motion-train-wreck/   Biden’s Rural Broadband Push Is a Slow-...